Monday, January 25, 2010

2010 - A New Year's Resolution

To keep this blog interesting, make it a better resource for halloween prop makers, and to make the posts more frequent I am going to make a few changes this year:

Smaller How-To's
I am going to make smaller How-To's that are easier to absorb. Usually I make a how-to after a prop is done, but since I work on multiple props at a time, it can be months until something is finished. These smaller How-To's will focus on one small technique that will be easy to learn and apply to your next prop. For example, how to make muscle tissue, how to sculpt sunken looking eyes, or wrinkled lips.

Material How-To's
I'll be doing some how-to's on using different materials than you might be used to when it comes to prop building, or maybe you've wanted to try them out, but don't know enough about them. I love to fool around with new materials, so when I find something good, I'll post it.

Painting How-To's
I'll be doing some painting tutorials where I'll paint one piece from start to finish, and show the techniques used up close and in detail, and show how washing, dry brushing, layering, and detail work can all come together into a fast and easy workflow you can use.

Photography How-To's
I'll also have a how-to light and photograph your props article finished before next halloween to help you document all your hard work on that big night. I'll also post a few articles about setting up your camera and processing your digital images.

ETc.
I'll also be posting about some more random stuff. I'll post about art and movies that have inspired me, props I dig, and haunt product reviews, ya know etc.!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks so much! You have a great haunt. So, I am so looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like some fabulous ideas.... I'm always excited to see what comes out of that amazingly creative head of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to it, especially the materials...and the painting...and the photography...and...
    :D

    ReplyDelete